5.06.2009

Free KFC 2-Piece Meal

By now everyone's probably heard about the free KFC coupon that Oprah somehow has been able to offer. A free 2-piece grilled chicken meal for every family in America. Well, John and I have redeemed our coupons and I have to say it was a very interesting experience. I almost wish I had taken pictures to post here.

There's a KFC right down the street from us and I had printed the coupons yesterday (see unthinkfc.com) so we drove over a little after 6 last night. The small restaurant was full but not over-crowded when we got there and we figured it was worth the wait. The wait ended up being 30 minutes, but I'm not complaining because it was free. And the people watching was prime!Not all the customers felt the way I did about complaining, however. There was one rather interesting gentleman, who I will call 'Mr. 74,' that was in quite a rush. When we ordered they were calling out orders in the 50's and we were #82. Mr. 74 couldn't stand still as he was just so excited to get his free chicken! He flitted from one side of the counter to the other, watching the employees in back carefully and constantly asking how much longer until order number 74. When it finally arrived Mr. 74 had to make sure that they had gotten his order right so he pulled everything out and examined it on the counter. John and I just smiled and shrugged - free offers bring all sorts of people out of the woodwork.

There were several families there as well as your standard poor college student crowd. And by the time we got our meals it really was a crowd. I felt bad for the people who hadn't heard about the offer and just came in for some good old traditional crispy fried chicken - they actually paid for their food but still had to wait just as long. But mostly I felt bad for the dear KFC employees, bless their hearts. Mr. 74 didn't help their stress levels one bit and I'm sure they're already sick at the sight of grilled chicken.

John and I walked out with a total of 4 very small grilled chicken pieces, two biscuits, mashed potatoes, baked beans, coleslaw, wedges, and two drinks. I was quite impressed with it on the whole - like I said, can't complain when it's free - but John was still hungry. All that standing in line made him hungry!

I think the deal is you can print 4 of the coupons before 9:59pm tonight so we might have another free KFC experience before the week is done. Next time, I'll take pictures, promise!

No comments: